Discussing how to use this page
There were a few comments in Telegram about "how will the community portal will be used?", without any firm conclusions.
- Copying my reply, with a few tweaks and some more details:
- It's up to you all, how to use this page - Examining other wikis for inspiration would be great!
- I'd suggest that one core goal should be keeping it distinct from the Help:Contents page. (a lot of wikis have very similar content in both pages, which I think is confusing).
- I was imagining something like Enwiki's setup, which is more of a "here's how you can help/participate" overview and task-sample listing. (w:en:Wikipedia:Community portal) Or something like Envoyage's "Maintenance panel" (voy:en:Wikivoyage:Maintenance panel).
- But it's up to you all!
- There are also a few semi-related notes/links at User:Quiddity (WMF)/List of initial wiki pages which might be useful.
- I hope that helps! Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 20:22, 5 September 2023 (UTC)
Merge the Task Centre?
Reasoning: I lean towards m:Mergism, especially on documentation pages, because scattered and prolific docs make things harder for newcomers to find and for docs-maintainers to remember, and increase the risk of inaccurate duplication/fragmentation, and increase the burden on translators. (See also the thread above this for further/related ideas). Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 21:44, 9 November 2023 (UTC)
- Makes sense. Currently the Community portal is a little lonely looking, and suggestions of tasks would be an appropriate thing to fill it with. We can always split it off again if necessary. Edward-Woodrow (talk) 21:39, 10 November 2023 (UTC)